Saturday, May 19, 2007

What is your college education worth

You know I just got this email from my boss. It states:

"An extra $27,000 a year for a bachelor's degree, compared to people who did not finish high school. A doctorate is worth another $30,000 on top of that."

I really dont see that happening. At least NOT where I work!!! I just think it is ironic how my boss would send us something like that when I HAVE my bachelors degree and I am getting paid LESS than someone in her department that only has an AA. I dont even know if she has even that!

I have to believe the statistics however because it goes on to say...

According to the data, the median salary for workers with a four-year college degree in 2005 was $40,166 -- compared to just over $13,000 a year for people who did not complete high school.

Those with a high school degree only had a median income of $21,079; for a two-year associate's degree it was $30,937; for a master's degree it was $51,509; for a doctorate it was $70,165. Those with law, medical and other professional degrees topped the list at $76,497.

They believe that the earnings gap is steadily rising. I guess that is good news for me.

No comments: